Scientific and Technical Translation in English (HE292)
JUST FOR FUN
EXAMPLE OF FINAL PROJECT:
1. SHARE YOUR TRANSLATIONS HERE.
2. COMPARE THE SECTIONS OF TWO ARTICLES.
3. WHY DO ARTICLES GET REJECTED?
4. ANALYZE AN ARTICLE THAT NEEDS REVISION.
- Download the article and focus on the title, abstract and introduction. What issues are there?
- Also download the Comments from the Reviewers, focusing especially on Reviewer 2's comments.
5. CAN YOU IDENTIFY PROBLEMS/SUGGEST CHANGES?
- Download the unpublished manuscript and read pages 1-5. Why might an editor reject this manuscript? Make notes and bring the notes to class.
1. HUMAN OR MACHINE?
- Download the Original Portuguese Article, then compare TRANSLATION A and TRANSLATION B. Which one was done by Google translate? What features help you arrive at your answer?
- Download the Site Text for Translation here. Remember to time yourself according to your assigned number.
1. SITE TEXT TRANSLATION: CLASS ACTIVITY
2. YOUR FIRST RESEARCH ARTICLE TRANSLATION
- Download the article here.
- Make sure you understand the point of the article before translating. Is the "story" being told well? Any questions you should ask the authors before you begin?
3. SLIDESHOW: FORMATTING YOUR 3-COLUMN TRANSLATION
- Click here to open the Excel spreadsheet and start adding bilingual terms related to Methods.
- Click here to add new terms to the 'Connectives' glossary.
WEEK 7- MIDTERM (April 4th, 2019)
1. CORPUS ACTIVITY
- FOOD SCIENCE CORPUS
- REFERENCE CORPUS
IN CASE YOU MISSED CLASS: HOW TO USE SMARTCAT
HOW TO USE IMPORTANT TOOLS IN ANTCONC
WEEK 9-10 Final articles
*** SLIDES FROM 2017 COURSE BELOW ***
FINAL ARTICLES FOR TRANSLATION:
- Group 1 - Social Sciences
- Members: Consuelo and Ariane
- Article: "Transferência de Conhecimento e Tecnologia no Contexto do Desenvolvimento Sustentável em Organizações: Proposição de Modelo Teórico"
- Group 2 - Natural Sciences
- Members: Caroline and Daniele
- Article: "Soluções de Equilíbrios de Solos Contaminados com Chumbo e Remediados com Fosfatos"
- Group 3 - Applied Sciences
- Members: Alexandre, Isabel and Marianna
- Article: "Tratamento de Paralisia Palpebral em Falcão-Caburé (Micrastur Ruficollis) através da Acupuntura: Relato de Caso"
- Group 4 - Humanities
- Members: Helena, Sabrina and Thais
- Article: "Ensaio sobre as promessas constitucionais de democracia e república"